May 2, 2020
TO: Administrative Professional Officers (APOs)
Exempt Support Staff (ESS)
A lot has happened over the past year, especially over the past several months with the significant budget reductions and COVID-19. These are unprecedented times that we are all navigating, in both our work and personal lives. All of you have adapted and we wish to thank you for your continued hard work serving our students and keeping University operations running.
Again, the Provincial Government has extended the restraint on salaries for all non-bargaining employees until March 31, 2021. This salary restraint has been in effect since April 1, 2016 to maintain base salaries for non-bargaining unit staff at current levels, without any grid movement. Please note that the University will continue to review all non-bargaining employees’ salaries and adjusted for any salary inversion or compression issues that may exist.
Recognizing that the affected employee groups are not receiving any compensation increases, the University will continue to offer Personal Days to the affected employees for the period July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021. For the period July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021, non-bargaining employees will receive 5.0 personal days. Please note that the University will also extend the use of the 4.0 personal days granted for the period October 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020 until August 31, 2020 due to COVID-19 and recognizing that some of you may not be able to take these personal days by June 30, 2020.
These Personal Days reflect the priority of Work-Life Balance in the People Plan and can be used by non-bargaining employees when they desire a day off to perhaps extend a vacation, create a long weekend or to take an afternoon to play golf or go for a bike ride. However you choose to use your Personal Days, please work with your supervisor regarding scheduling to ensure that you use and enjoy them! You can reference the guidelines of the Personal Days on the University's website.
Thank you again for all your efforts and hard work. If there are any questions about Personal Days, please contact your Senior Human Resources Consultant.
Vice-President (Finance & Administration)
2020-21 Personal Leave Days
July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021
Administrative Professional Officers (APOs), Exempt Support Staff (ESS), Excluded Professionals, and Senior Administrators are eligible for the following personal leave days:
5.0 days between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021
Note: Use of the October 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020 4.0 personal days will be extended to August 31, 2020.
Guidelines for the use of Personal Days for Non-Bargaining Employees:
1. Personal Days are to be taken at a time mutually agreed on by the employee and their supervisor to ensure that departmental operational needs are still being met. Supervisors are asked to be flexible to ensure that employees have the opportunity to take the Personal Days.
2. Supervisors are encouraged to proactively work with employees in the scheduling of the Personal Days in such a way that the ability of employees to accomplish their work goals are not adversely affected by the taking of the Personal Days.
3. To support employees’ well-being and work-life balance, all employees are encouraged and enabled to take their earned vacation time on an annual basis.
4. Personal days may be taken prior to using annual vacation entitlement.
5. Personal days cannot carryover to future years and must be used in the time period during which they are allocated. Personal Days not taken during the time period are forfeited.
6. Employees will not receive pay in lieu of unused Personal Days.
7. Personal Days are prorated based on the full-time equivalent (FTE) of the employee's position and the months worked during the year. Personal days are not earned during periods of leave without pay of more than one month in duration.