EFAP Frequently Asked Questions

This is an emergency. Who should I call?

Call 911.

It's not an emergency. I do need help. Who do I call?

Contact Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)

Who may use the services of the EFAP?

Faculty and staff who are enrolled in U of L Group Benefits, and their dependents who are covered under their benefit plan.

How long are appointments and how are they conducted?

Appointments are usually an hour but may vary in length depending on individual needs. The allowed maximum of up to twelve (12) hours per participant, for each benefit year, (January-December) are conducted in a variety of ways (Face-to-Face, E-counselling or Telephonic Counselling).

Are EFAP appointments confidential?

Yes. The EFAP carefully adheres to professional standards of ethics and confidentiality. Records maintained by the EFAP are not part of or accessible to any other University record system. Except for danger to self or others, child or elder abuse or neglect, or authorized legal access, no information is released without consent of the client.

What does it cost to use the EFAP?

There is no cost to you for up to twelve, 1-hour long appointments with the EFAP.

What if the issues concerning me cannot be dealt with by the provider?

If this is the case you will be referred to other professional services in the community with expertise in your area of concern. You would be responsible for any applicable fees charged by these other professionals.

My supervisor (or spouse/co-worker) wants me to come for counseling. Do I have to?

Use of the EFAP is voluntary. This said, if someone is suggesting the EFAP, they must be worried about you and it may be a good idea to talk with a professional. When you think about it, an hour with a trained professional who listens carefully to your concerns is a supportive event.

I think my co-worker (or spouse/child) should come to see you. How do I talk to them about this?

It's best to bring this up in a relaxed way. I recommend saying something simple like, "I am concerned about you. What do you think about talking to someone trained to work with what you are faced with right now."

Teenagers and children often respond positively when parents ask them in a friendly way if they would like someone to talk to.

If the person you are concerned about is reluctant to come for counseling, it may also help to offer to come with them to the first appointment.

Is it true that most people who come to the EFAP have alcohol or substance abuse issues?

No, this is not true. Most people who use the EFAP come to discuss relationship issues or personal development. People also come for help with managing anxiety or for assistance in adjusting to a new community.

In the past there has been stigma attached to seeking counseling but this is changing and people are realizing that counseling is a place where we can enhance our personal growth and effectiveness. Seeking counseling is not something to be ashamed of.

Our department needs some assistance with conflict management.

Contact your Senior Human Resources Consultant for direction.

I’m a supervisor/ manager and I need some direction in handling an employee mental health situation, where can I get assistance?

Contact Homewood Heath by telephone (1-888-713-8623) and ask for the “Key Person Advice Line”.