Student Confidentiality

Parents and Guardians | Sharing of Information

The Housing Contract (Single Student Housing License Agreement) is a legally binding agreement between the student (18 years and older) and Housing Services. If your student is under the age of 18, they will require a parent or guardian to sign the contract on their behalf on move-in day. Residence Procedures for Minors document must be completed by the resident and parent or guardian. Part of the Housing Contract mandates ALL residents read and understand the Residence Community Handbook which includes all the rules and regulations of living on campus.

Please note that if your student is the age of majority, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP) prohibits the University of Lethbridge and Housing Services from sharing or discussing the student file is with anyone other than the student. The University of Lethbridge and Housing Services will not disseminate photos, billing details or addresses to any other parties or individuals. If your student wishes to have Housing Services or the University of Lethbridge share information with someone (i.e. parent, guardian or designate) please ask your student to contact Housing Services to complete the proper authorization.

In accordance with this legislation, please note that any monetary refunds will be made directly to the student. Students are responsible for any outstanding accounts (Student Enrolment and Registrar Services, Cash Office).

In the event you are calling on behalf of your student, please be aware that our staff cannot provide you with any information regarding the following:

  • Application Status
  • Room Assignment
  • Fees on your student’s account
  • Status of breach of residence policies


Your student may contact U of L FOIP Office for more information.