Home Office Expenses & T2200S
University of Lethbridge employees who worked from home during 2020 may be eligible to claim home office expenses on their 2020 personal tax return. It is the sole responsibility of an employee to determine their own eligibility to claim home office expenses, identify what is an eligible expense, calculations for a claim, and to reduce the claim by any amounts received or receivable from the University of Lethbridge.
The Canada Revenue Agency provides two methods – a simplified method of $2/day for eligible days or a detailed method where employees calculate a percentage of space and expenses, supported by invoices and area calculations.
The detailed method requires employees to have a T2200S Declaration of Conditions of Employment for Working at Home Due to COVID-19 completed by the University of Lethbridge, provided they worked at least 4 consecutive weeks from home during 2020.
- Active employees received an email from Financial Services (Kim Ordway) February 18, 2021 with a link to the T2200S request form, active only until March 14, 2021! Employees who miss this deadline can request the form using the process for inactive employees.
- Employees inactive as of February 2021 but who worked from home during 2020, active employees after March 14, 2021, and research and student positions can request a T2200S form by emailing email@example.com with the following information:
- Legal first and last name
- U of L ID number
- University Department you worked for during 2020
- Confirmation you worked for the University of Lethbridge during 2020 for at least 4 consecutive weeks from home.
Employees are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the eligibility requirements and options listed on the Canada Revenue Agency website at “Home office expenses for employees”. We have also created “2020 Home Office Expense FAQ” found within the Financial Services FAQ’s here.
For more information about home office expenses & T2200S, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.