Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute is pleased to announce a call for Applications for Shastri Research Student Fellowship (SRSF) 2017-18 including undergraduate students enrolled in degree programmes in recognised Indian & Canadian universities or institutions to undertake research in areas/ fields in which scholars may desire/require research experience in Canada/India. This Programme will provide an opportunity for a transformative cultural and educational experience. Scholars will get exposure in an international setting which will bring lifelong benefits to the individual trainees as well as to the institutions in which they would be affiliated. The training and exposure they will receive will also broaden their understanding of research techniques, principles, and interdisciplinary approaches and thus will expand their scholarly horizons, a necessary step in becoming a more confident researcher in any corner of the world. Such an experience will also provide invaluable insights into the nature of the bi-national academic community and may often result in lifelong friendships and a broad bi-national professional network.
In general applications from all domains of studies like Social Sciences and Humanities, Arts, Commerce & Management and STEM subjects are accepted. However, applications are encouraged in the focus areas of SICI and priority areas of MHRD, Govt. of India i.e. Food Security and Sustainable Development, Water Resource Management, Gender, Bi-lateral Trade and Investment, Energy and Environmental Sciences, Securing Future of Children and Youth, Higher Education, Agricultural Science & Technology, Teacher Education and Training, Health Sciences, Nursing, Marine Sciences and Ocean Studies is invited under this programme. The Institute in its broader ambit also includes vocational education as specified in the Xth Addendum of the MoU.
Applicant must be from member institutions of Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute from India or Canada and the affiliate or host institution must be from member institution of SICI in India or Canada. Student fellowship will be awarded to Indian and Canadian students who have completed two years of degree i.e. Bachelor, Masters or M.Phil programme at recognised Indian & Canadian universities or institutions of higher education to take up or to pursue a course (module/part of a course), or do an internship at recognised Canadian& Indian universities. The selected applicant or awardee is encouraged to confirm his / her travel by 31st March 2018.
- An applicant should have completed one year of Bachelor degree and minimum of one semester or 6 months of Masters from an Indian or Canadian University/ Institution with at least 55% marks. The final year or last semester student has to provide proof for the internship required for that particular degree.
- Students pursuing M. Phil should have completed minimum of 1 semester of the degree/course.
- The applicant’s University/Institution must be from member institutions of Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute. A list of SICI member institutions is available at the link provided here: http://www.sici.org.in/index.php?page=member-institutions .
- The applicant should not have another degree from a Canadian university or be enrolled in a Canadian degree program.
- A letter of invitation/affiliation from the host faculty is must and the affiliate should be from member institution of Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute.
- The applicant must be a citizen or a permanent resident of India or Canada.
- Official Transcripts (student applicants only) to be sent directly from the university for all years of completed study.
- The applicant should demonstrate proficiency in oral and written English, and should preferably be in the age group of 21-25 years.
Duration: The proposed/accepted period of research will be up to 8-12 weeks for students.