Application-based funding is available through the Lake Winnipeg Basin Program for targeted, outcome focused actions. Projects will be aimed at reducing nutrients, enhancing collaboration and supporting enhanced engagement of Indigenous peoples on freshwater issues.
- Not-for-profit organizations (for example, non-governmental organizations and groups, service clubs, co-operatives, community, charitable and volunteer organizations)
- Indigenous communities, governments and organizations
- Research, academic and educational institutions
- For-profit organizations (for example, small businesses, industry associations and agricultural associations)
- Local organizations (for example, community and volunteer associations, organizations and groups, senior and youth groups)
- Municipal governments, local governments and provincial or territorial Crown corporations
- Regional conservation districts and authorities
- Projects must be implemented or carried out in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta portions of the Lake Winnipeg Basin
- Projects must address at least one of the following three key freshwater priority issues:
- nutrient reduction
- collaborative governance
- Indigenous engagement
- Projects must be completed before March 31, 2022 when the Lake Winnipeg Basin Program sunsets
The Lake Winnipeg Basin Program implements a two stage application process:
Stage 1: Letter of Intent: Applicants are asked, using the provided template, to submit a Letter of Intent (maximum 2 pages). Letters of Intent will be reviewed by ECCC against the following criteria:
- The project contributes to at least one of the three key freshwater priority areas listed above;
- The requested level of federal funding is between 1/3 and 2/3 of the total project value;
- The maximum amount available for any one project is $600,000;
- The start date and end date are clearly stated (must end before March 31, 2022);
- The project takes place in the Canadian portion of the Lake Winnipeg Basin; and
- The submission is from an eligible applicant.
Stage 2: Project Proposal Submission: Once a Letter of Intent is deemed eligible, applicants will be invited to submit a project proposal
Letters of Intent are due February 21, 2018. For applicants that are deemed eligible to proceed, the full proposal submission deadline is March 26, 2018.