The Weston Brain Institute is delighted to launch our Transformational Research: Canada 2018 Program to fund transformative, novel, high-risk, high-reward translational research projects with excellent preliminary data.
NEW for 2018
- Translational research using humans or human samples/data is in scope, except for clinical trials or clinical trial sub-studies which should be submitted to the Early-Phase Clinical Trials or Rapid Response programs.
- The Institute has updated which tools are in scope. Please see below and read our What We Fund webpage before applying to ensure your project is in scope.
Goal: To provide funding for translational research that will accelerate the development of therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases of aging.
Applicant Eligibility: Eligible Principal Applicants must be researchers working in Canada at least 30% of the time at or above the level of Assistant Professor or equivalent, and be affiliated with a Canada Revenue Agency-qualified donee institution located in Canada. Co-Applicants/Collaborators must be at the post-doctoral level or above and can be working outside Canada.
Project Eligibility: Projects must meet the following conditions to be eligible:
- Be translational research, excluding clinical trials and clinical trial sub-studies, that accelerates the development of therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases of aging.
- Clinical trials and clinical trial sub-studies should be submitted to the Early-Phase Clinical Trials or Rapid Response programs; however other translational research using humans or human samples/data is in scope.
- Be the development of a therapeutic and/or tool.
- Have excellent preliminary data to support the proposed project.
Disease Scope: All the Institute’s neurodegenerative diseases of aging are covered by this program (see What We Fund page).
Online System Open for Submission: Friday, September 22nd, 2017
Program Information Webinar: Wednesday, October 25th 2017, 1:00 pm EDT
Letter of Intent Deadline: DEADLINE EXTENDED to FEBRUARY 15, 2018 at 2:00 pm EST
There are two stages to the application process:
- Letters of Intent
An application for the Transformational Research program requires a Letter of Intent, and applicants with high potential projects are invited to submit a Proposal by mid-March 2017. Proposal instructions and feedback from our scientific review committee will be forwarded along with the invitation.