Mental Health Team at the Health Centre
What services are available to students with mental health concerns?
Students have access to a Mental Health Team at the Health Centre, a new service that can further aid in navigating the challenges and difficulties of mental health/addictions. By reaching out to the Mental Health Team, students can be connected with the right resources and supports within the UofL as well as in the community.
Our goal is to help you overcome these challenges so you are able to have the best possible experience at the University of Lethbridge.
To identify and respond to a student in distress, please refer to the Mental Help Folder.
If you have questions about services regarding mental health/addiction, please contact the Health Centre at 403-329-2484 or visit us in the SU Building SU020.
Mental Health Appointment Request Procedure
When presenting at the Health Centre with a mental health concern, the patient will meet with the Client Care Coordinator (CCC) to complete a pre-booking questionnaire (PBQ). At high volume times, requests will be triaged resulting in patients possibly being told that they will be contacted in 1-3 business days to complete the PBQ.
Once a PBQ has been completed, the CCC will refer the patient to the appropriate services to best serve their needs.
Please note that we practice a Shared Care Model between the Health Centre and the Mental Health Team. Therefore, all information provided in the PBQ is accessible by all physicians in the Health Centre.
The appropriate services will be of the following:
Intake Assessment with the Mental Health Nurse (MHN)
- The patient will meet with the MHN for approximately 1 hour to complete an intake assessment. An intake assessment includes a review of family, medical, social, and educational history; presenting concerns; completion of appropriate assessments; and discussions around what the patient is looking for regarding treatment.
- From the intake, the MHN will determine whether or not psychiatry services are appropriate.
- If psychiatry services are appropriate, the MHN will book the patient with a physician at the Health Centre for assessment by them as booking with a psychiatrist requires a referral from a physician. If the assessment with the physician proves that psychiatry is needed, the physician will send the CCC a referral.
- Once the referral is received, reviewed and accepted by psychiatrists, the patient will be booked for a psychiatric consult.
Family Doctor, if in Lethbridge
- If the patient has a family doctor in Lethbridge, the patient will be referred there for further assessment. If assessment with the family doctor proves that psychiatry is needed, the family doctor can fax a referral to the University Health Centre at 403-329-2466. Once the referral is received, reviewed, and accepted by the psychiatrists, the patient will be booked for an intake assessment with the MHN. Once the intake assessment is complete, the patient will be booked for a psychiatric consult.
These are other resources that a patient may be referred to:
- UofL Counselling Services. If you are looking to book an appointment with Counselling Services, please contact them directly at 403-317-2485.
- UofL Accommodated Learning Centre (ALC). If you are looking to book an appointment with ALC, please contact them directly at 403-329-2766.
- UofL Student Success Centre (SSC). If you are looking to book and appointment with (SSC), please contact them direclty at email@example.com
- UofL Dietitian. If you are looking to book an appointment with the Dietitian, please contact the Health Centre at 403-317-2888.
- UofL Addictions Coordinator. If you are looking to book and appointment with the Addictions Coordinator, please contact the Health Centre at 403-317-2888.