Art programs with additional requirements
- Art (Art Studio)
- Native American Art (Art Studio)
- Review your program application and scholarship deadlines prior to applying.
- Submit your application for admission to the University prior to submitting portfolio and personal statement.
- Upload and submit your portfolio online at Slideroom. This does not need to be done at the same time as your application, but you need both parts to receive an offer from the University.
Submit your portfolio and personal statement by 11:59 PM MST on SlideRoom on one of these dates to be included in the evaluation for that round:
- December 15*
- February 15*
- April 15
- June 15 – Final Evaluation
*Line up with University scholarship deadlines
Your portfolio consists of a personal statement and examples of your artwork. The portfolio informs the Art Department about your creative interest, experience, skills and direction. Choose your best work that provides a sampling of your art practice and document it professionally.
Personal statement (500 words)
The personal statement provides insight to the Art Department about your background, experience, inspirations, and goals. In approximately 500 words, explain your reasons for wanting to study Art. Include references to artistic interests, specific influences, and any educational background in the arts.
Examples of work (10-20)
Submit 10-20 examples of current pieces (try to select from the past three years) that provide a good representation of your range of art interests and skills. Works may be created inside or outside a formal class setting. While there are no specific requirements, it is recommended that you include at least one still life drawing in your portfolio.
You may submit more than one image of a single artwork if it is large or complex.
Examples of the range of materials you can submit
- Drawings, prints, paintings, or murals
- Photography (analogue or digital), collage, or other mixed media works
- Video, performance, animation, or audio-based work
- Sculpture, fibre or ceramic work
- Website design, graphic novel, and zine productions
- Selections from sketchbooks and journals
SlideRoom will provide you the opportunity to include the following information with your work when submitting:
- Year of work
- Brief description of the work – max. 50 words (optional)
- Names of any collaborators (if relevant)
You may upload images (jpg), video (mov, wmv, flv), music (mp3) and one PDF document file with a maximum 6 pages. SlideRoom links directly to Vimeo, YouTube and SoundCloud.
For best image quality and fast upload, image files should be about 1024 x 768px @ 72 dpi. Please keep video files under 60MB and limited to 2 - 3 minute clips. Our SlideRoom portal offers additional instruction for submitting your work. For technical assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
At SlideRoom you can login and edit your portfolio as often as you like; however, once you have submitted it, no changes can be made. A $10 USD fee is charged at the time of submission.
Admission and Portfolio Advisor
Faculty of Fine Arts